Fall Workday Oct 14 - 16th, 2022
The Volunteer / Member appreciation dinner was great fun on Saturday Oct 15th. There was also a memorial presentation for member Gladys Solakian with many kind words and memories shared.
The Oct 16th Workday was a great success! Multiple trees were downed, sawed and split for next years firewood along with many other needed tasks. Thank you to all who came to help the club. Your investment of time or funds is what keeps the club going! If you didn’t make it please send $100 so we can hire out the work remaining. The work we’d like to improve are the mens bathrooms, light fixtures and other such small things that keep your experience at the club wonderful. Paypal email@example.com , snail mail to: WFSC, P.O. Box 52, Viroqua WI 54665
The Club is now closed for the season and the board will be working on winterizing. IF you’d like to help with any of the planned winter projects please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Refresh the Green Cabin, Add the deck to the back of the Brookie and so much more!
Membership fees go towards youth conservation education, Stream restoration, and raising 2500 Brook Trout for release in April with the WiDNR and Living Waters Bible Camp.
In spring of 2023 we have DNR Stream Permits approved for both the middle and north section of the grounds. We share the north section with a WiDNR easement.
Welcome to the WFSC. New members always welcome! Check out the new events page for happenings at the WFSC. (under announcements.)
NEW for 2023 – Cabin Rentals please bring your own sheets, towels or sleeping bags. This change will keep the club sustainable and allow us not to raise rates for 2023. Thank you for understanding. See cabin pages for the number of beds and sizes.
NEW Brookie AVAILABLE Please see the new Brookie Cabin for more information. A Cabin / Tiny house similar to “the old blue cabin” with custom woodwork, comfy beds, near the bathrooms, microwave, coffee pot, hot plate, dorm fridge, New AC / heat system, a queen loft bed and 2 singles downstairs. Affordable and comfortable, dry lodging.
Camping is first come first serve – There is always room. ALL SITES ARE GROUP SITES with dispersed camping. Camp where you like except on the south point.. There are no individual reservations, Group functions can reserve if they have more than 12 people and notice by April 1st each year. Membership $33 by PayPal to westforkSportsclub@gmail.com or $30 in person at the green pay station at the park.
Electrical spots are $30 per night. Non elect $20 per night. (Even if you camp in a tent in an electrical site the cost is $30 per night. Please leave electric for those who need it. We have fewer electric than tent sites available ~thanks). Electric cars can be charged onsite for an additional $30.00 per day.
Wood is $20 a wheelbarrow each time you get a load. in 2022 we will have cords of wood in various places around the club. The cost is the same no matter where you get it from.
CLUBHOUSE – please consider having your function here by renting this awesome space for your gatherings ! See pictures on Clubhouse page. Full Kitchen, bar, round and rectangular tables and chairs.
Please help the club by:
- pick up sticks around the campground and put them in fire pits (helps the mowers immensely)
- DON’T get stuck in a sand trap or wet ground, it will cost you $100 or more to get pulled out by a farmer and repair the grounds. (AAA won’t service a vehicle not on a road.)
- As an environmental club members should know that the recyclables you toss in the dumpster go to the landfill, not recycling. Please take them home with you or deliver them 2.6 miles to the recycling center M-F 7:30 am – 3:30 pm. It is free and likely on your way home. Map Here: Vernon Co. Recycling center (map here) is 2.6 miles from the Campground.
- You can also take cans into town and donate them to local causes. There are collection bins for cans by the Mobile Station on Main.
- Trash at the Campground is for campers/ cabin members only. No matter what you’ve been told in the past. Please respect this as it saves the club precious funds and helps us keep the costs low. Consider cans vs bottles for camping (YES, good beer is available in cans also!)
All Upcoming and Past Events are now posted HERE: See events Calendar
Events in 2021 were:
- April 19 – Brook Trout Release with WI DNR, Living Waters Bible Camp and WFSC
- April – Viroqua High School Science STEM Water Monitoring
- April- Fox Valley TU Adventure Weekend
- April – Valley Stewardship Water Monitoring Training
- Spring – Boy Scouts of America Chapter
- May – Project Green Teen Kids from Shabazz High School in Madison WI
- May – Americorps
- May – Vets on the Fly
- May – local 4H youngsters practicing for the fair presentations of their animals.
- JUNE 5 WFSC ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING (PORTAGE SHELTER)
- June – Gary Borger TU Chapter Function
- June – Veterans on the Fly
- June 16 – 20 – Wisconsin Women’s Fly Fishing Clinics – Southern WI Trout Unlimited
- July – 3 FREE Music in the Park Concert Series, July 17, 24, 31 , bring lawn chairs, refreshments available.
- Aug – Girl Scouts
- Aug – South Eastern Wisconsin Trout Unlimited Mentoring Weekend
- Gary Borger Chapter Outing
- Sept 10- Avalanche Clave – Wisconsin Fly Fishing Message Board – all welcome, on & off FaceBook
- Sept 16- Bamboo Rod Makers – Scott Grady
- Sept 18, Widner Remembrance at the Portage Shelter
- Sept 20 Vets on the Fly
2021: The fall workday last year was a spectacular success. Thank you who all who came out to help! July’s Music series in the park was a fantastic success. . Please support our supporters Restoration Cider, Alt Brew and Driftless Provisions . The WIDNER Remembrance was held September 18th and many shared wonderful stories and memories. Family and members attended.
2019: We had Stream work completed to repair stream and ground from flood of 2018, more work to do, little by little.
2018: Was a spectacular year until the flood of 2018 where 3 dams upstream broke sending water through the park areas. We lost a blue cabin and are looking for “tiny house” options to replace it. It must be on wheels and not be a project that requires lots of refurbishing to work. If you have options please contact us.
Enjoy your time at the Westfork. ~ the Volunteer Board!
Camping (first come first serve, no reservations (unless you have 15 or more people, we will then reserve a site for you).
ALL sites are group sites and there are always spots available since you can camp anywhere you like. Do not worry about putting a site number on your tag (registration envelope).
Dogs are welcome under control. Dogs are dogs and should be allowed to run. However, if campers are frightened, worried etc. because of a dog, please ask the owner to put their dog on a leash or to not have the dog around you. A misbehaving dog is the owners responsibility. Owners, please use leashes when necessary and please be sure to clean up after the dogs. Dog poo on shoes are no fun for anyone.
Club Work & Donations
Since 1966 the WFSC has been a conservation club. Activities we participate in:
- Helping feed, and release 2200 brook trout in the Westfork of the Kickapoo Watershed each April. Working with Living Waters Bible Camp and Wisconsin Dept of Natural Resources
- Environmental Education to youth groups
- Scholarship to a local high school graduate entering Natural Resource Management.
- Offering space to groups to gather
- Initiate or support Stream restoration projects
- Host At-Risk youth with Natural Resource partners for one week each spring
- Complete supplemental support for stream projects (build fish cribs, access stiles).
- Participate in local environmental planning and protections.
Please consider donating time to the grounds, or conservation efforts or donating financially to our mission work stated above. Donations are tax deductible up to $13000.00 to the 501c3. Donations can be delivered in multiple formats:
- Add extra funds to your camping payment envelopes
- Paypal funds to email@example.com
- Mail in to WFSC P.O. Box 52, Viroqua WI 54665
- Work place charitable matches (EIN 39.1624390)
- Financial benefits from your savings plan. Example Thrivent Financial clients all get $500 EACH year to donate to a 501c3 organization – Contact Jeff Worrell for guidance firstname.lastname@example.org
- Identify the WFSC as a benefactor in your will.
- ~100% of donations go directly to run the club and keep it a viable and sustainable option for the future & members! ~thank you for your consideration and donations.
Memberships are required and cost only $30 per year. Each adult should have a membership. A family should have one membership. When children are OF AGE they should buy their own membership. All other adults are expected to be members. We encourage all adults to purchase memberships. Membership allows you to camp, use the WiFi, remove your garbage, wood purchase on site, day use anytime, swim, bring your families, rent the clubhouse for events, have picnics and participate in our educational and scientific endeavors. Membership fees help pay for the infrastructure you enjoy during your stay; septic, water, electricity, grounds, etc.
Cost Comparison: Memberships cost $30 per person, camping costs $20 per night per tent and $35 per night for electric (tent or camper) A Weekend of camping at the Westfork for 2 night with a membership currently costs $70 for a tent or $100 for electric (both including a membership and both allowing future camping without the membership fee for the year of $40 by tent and $70 by electric for 2 nights. Less than a hotel room for ONE night!
- TENTS, Each tent is $20 per night.. How many people are in the tent does not matter, however all adults should be members. Tents should not camp in the electrical sites. If they do the cost is $35 per night per tent with Electric.
- TRAVEL TRAILERS, each electric site has 2 electric plugs in the box and can be shared by more than one trailer. Each Trailer is $35 per night for electrical.
- Cabin reservations are done only online.
- COMING SOON – Native Structure will be primitive, without electricity but with a wooden platform. A Tiny House Cabin we call the Brookie that will be similar to the “old blue cabin”.
West Fork Sports Club
West Fork Sports Club
S3649 County Rd S, Viroqua, WI 54665, USA
Contact West Fork Sports Club
"*" indicates required fields